Sunday, April 15, 2012

Homemade Nut butter

So I found this really great blog post last week when I was researching a grain free diet.  Not sure how I found it, maybe it was thru the Frugally Sustainable blog I've been attached to.  The blog post goes to instructions on how to make your own nut butter.  I don't own a food processor but my mom does.  She didn't believe me that by just putting a nut of choice in the food processor and pulsating it, that it would first turn into flour, but if you continued it would turn into Nut Butter.  So this morning after church my husband and I stopped by Target to pick up some already roasted salted almonds and after lunch I put them in my mom's food processor and showed her the flour and then continued and made almond butter.  It didn't take me as long to make the flour or the butter as the blog post stated it might take.

Almonds are high in fiber and protein, low in carbs, 1g of sugar per 1/4 cup and 6% iron.  Its like a complete meal.  I added some vanilla to mine, though I was just experimenting, probably could have added more.  Made enough to fill 2-6oz glass jars, one for me and one for mom.

So instead of buying peanut butter premade which we are currently out of, I think I will just buy some peanuts and head on over to my mom's and make home made peanut butter so I can ensure its not too sugary.

Well, I've been gone since 10am this morning as we went to church, then went to my mom's and my husband left for work from my mom's and my mom just dropped me off at home.  I have a ton of dishes to get done and I'm still sewing reusable sandwich bags and handy helper's for this coming Saturday's 4th Annual Iron Range Earth Fest that I've been a vendor for the past couple of years.  Its my last show before I expect our little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment