Thursday, April 12, 2012

Food, Recipes, Menu's, Meal Planning, Budgeting

So far this week I seem to be concentrating on good wholesome food choices which are essential to a healthy life.  Its a lot of thinking and remembering and those ah ha moments when you didn't know you were eating a certain way without realizing it.  I'm learning a lot about the Paleo diet which is based upon the hunter/gather ancestors of ours where grain wasn't part of their diet and how grain has lead to so many dietary issues.

I might have mentioned quite a few blog posts ago that in 2007 I had met my natural doctor Monica Liddle.  Monica had put me on an anti-inflammatory diet to help control and cure my endometriosis.  It worked while I stayed on it.  What I didn't realize until now though is that I wasn't eating any grains when I was on her diet and nor was I consuming dairy.  I often had buckwheat hot cereal for breakfast, buckwheat isn't a grain its a fruit, also known as Kasha.  I'd have tea and a fruit for mid morning snack, lunch was a salad with protein of some sort and a vinaigrette salad dressing, mid afternoon snack was a different type of tea and more fruit and supper often was steamed veggies with butter.  Essentially I should still be on this diet regardless that I'm pregnant.  Though I would need to up the anty on the proteins since you need about 70g of protein per day when you're pregnant.

But what I'm also learning is grain free, dairy free recipes can taste amazing and be totally healthy for you.  I found a recipe online for grain free, gluten free, dairy free cereal which I made this week, a lengthy process because you have to soak the almond and coconut flour for 24 hours in yogurt or kefir, then you have to bake it for 30 min at 350 degrees, and then dehydrate it at 200 degrees for 24 hours.  Its amazing.  I bought my almond flour and coconut flour from MySpiceSage.com out of New York State, shipping was free, and if you wanted to expedite it which I did, 2nd day air with UPS was only $10!  Though the pound I ordered from them for almond flour is just about all used up with that one recipe of cereal and there are so many other things I want to make that call for it.  So I'm trying to figure out a monthly menu and buy in bulk accordingly.  As we have went from multiple trips around town for items to 1 day shopping per month.

I've also read this week how easy and inexpensive it is for you to make your own nut butters, yogurt, kefir, kombucha, etc.  I did a little price comparison shopping last week at our local whole foods co-op to see what their prices stand up to online retailers.  Some they were cheaper in some they weren't.  It pays to take notice.

I'd like to get our menu done for May along with all the shopping and prepping as early in May as possible as my due date nears.  I don't think we'll have a lot of visitors other then my mother and my best friend from Alaska who's coming as she is to be one of our son's God Mothers so I should be able to manage the cooking and taking care of a newborn and eating healthy all at the same time.  My doctor told me that all the while I plan on breastfeeding I still need to take a prenatal.  Right now they are pushing for me to take my iron supplement which I can't take because it makes me so entirely constipated and that's always been an issue for me.  So I'm trying to incorporate it in other means.

When I figure all this out, I'll post it, maybe you'll see something you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment